HCPG newsletter was started in 2006 and has grown to be one of the most respected trading newsletters in the field – all from word of mouth. We do no advertising.
Our group has been involved in the stock market since the late 1990s. The most important lesson we have learned in all these years was this: to simplify trading, to become patient, and to wait for the right patterns to develop. Now we are ready to share this with you.
The act of writing lends clarity and coherence to one’s thoughts as it forces you to think over what you are doing. This is something we have come to realize even more strongly since we started this service. We are always aiming to trade in an orderly, clear and disciplined manner. Articulating and putting down our rules, printing out charts, and commenting on patterns for the next day has made us more focused traders. In a way, parts of it are like an enhanced trading journal (which, by the way, we recommend to all).
After years of trading by ourselves we also realized that we wanted to do something different, that we wanted an audience with whom we could share our experiences. There comes a time in your life when you want to enter a new stage, to embrace greater responsibility. When you want to have more influence in other people’s lives, and ultimately, when you want to up the challenge of life.
In 2010 we partnered with StockTwits and started blogging on their network. We enjoy adding value to the StockTwits community and in turn are happy with the increased exposure. Our posts are syndicated in CNN Money, and have been linked to the WSJ; you can also find as regular contributors to YTE (your trading edge) magazine. You can also read our chapter (19) in the StockTwits Edge: 40 Actionable Trade Set-ups from Real Market Pros book.
We decided to charge just so much as to be motivated to keep doing such a service but not so much that it becomes too expensive for traders who are starting out, or for people who subscribe to multiple services who do not want to add another $300 a month to their bills. We decided to charge less than $50 a month. Having it so inexpensive also means that trading will always be the main source of income for us, since as soon as you stop trading and become an observer, you lose the trader’s edge: that instinct of looking at a stock’s price action and seeing it set up even before the pattern has emerged on the daily chart.
When we were in the planning stages of setting up the company we asked ourselves one question: How could we improve upon what is already being offered in the field?
- We came up with five points:
1) We didn’t like the overly flashy, ostentatious manner of some sites that promised you an instant fortune. Hence, we opted for a straightforward, basic web site that focuses on information and facts. Making the transition to trading for a living is difficult, and most people who try to become traders are not successful. However, in our experience people who put in the hours, the focus, and the sweat, and who are willing to constantly learn and evolve, can become successful professional traders.
2) We didn’t like how expensive some services were. Hence, we priced our service at $44.76 a month, which will be locked-in for as long as you remain a member. This is in adherence to our belief that the price of education should never be an obstacle to achieving one’s goals.
3) We didn’t like it that newsletters had only buy spots without any proper explanation of their methodology, or commentary on their previous and present picks. Hence, our long, information-packed newsletters.
4) We didn’t like it that to cancel a membership in some services is akin to getting a divorce. Hence, our decision to go with PayPal, which gives you complete control of your subscription, and to give you the option of emailing us to cancel — even up to 24hrs before billing date (if we are late and you are billed by PayPal, we’ll refund the money to you). To cancel with PayPal simply log in, click on the History tab, find Subscriptions, and once you see our name, click on Details. At the bottom of the page you will find “Cancel Subscription”. Once you cancel your subscription, you will not be billed again. We will keep sending you the newsletter until the last day of your paid cycle, and after that you are taken off the mailing list.
5) Most importantly, we offer the one thing that, to our knowledge, no other newsletter in the field undertakes: to attempt to teach our clients not only about chart patterns but something much more difficult — the execution of the trade.
We’re not interested in raking in every dollar possible by cutting edges in customer service. We try to look at the big picture: for this to be a start of a long-standing successful business based on our experience, our motivation to constantly improve, and our adherence to standards of excellence.